DISCLAIMER

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author. They are not intended to replace medical advice from
a licensed healthcare professional. So, don't be stupid. Talk to your healthcare provider and don't rely on the
Internet for your medical needs.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ew, ew, ew....plus, practical advice

The last little bit of pregnancy is getting pretty disgusting. Apparently, one of the many purposes of the "membrane sweep" is to loosen the mucous plug. The membrane sweeping hurt like crap, as I mentioned in the previous blog. However, I'd say it was pretty productive if it caused this one step in pre-labor to happen.



In real life, the mucous plug looks like a really nasty loogie. This website has a picture of a real one if you really, really want to see an example. I was pretty disgusted by it. So this basically means labor could start in a few hours, or up to two weeks from now. I'm truly hoping for sooner rather than later, of course.

We went on a tour of the labor & delivery ward at the hospital last night. I highly recommend going at night, through the emergency department, so that you can find the birthing center from there. It's one thing to know how to get there from the entrance closest to it, but that might be closed after-hours or on weekends. If you need someone to give you a tour, you might want to call ahead to ensure that there is at least one birthing room available to look at, and that staff isn't too busy to take a few minutes and walk you around. I wish I had brought my camera. The birthing room was super-awesome and comfy-looking. Well, maybe in a couple days I'll get to be in one. There will be pictures then, of course!

1 comment:

R said...

Well good luck! I knew nothing of this "mucus plug" until you mentioned it!
I have been learning all sorts of things I didn't want to know about pregnancy! :D