DISCLAIMER

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author. They are not intended to replace medical advice from
a licensed healthcare professional. So, don't be stupid. Talk to your healthcare provider and don't rely on the
Internet for your medical needs.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mexican Jumping Bean - Doula You Love Me?

So Mexico was a blast. The weather was warm (okay, hot) and the humidity was approximately that of a steam room, but it was a nice change from the 48-degrees-and-raining Pacific Northwest. I think Baby liked it too. I call him/her my "Mexican Jumping Bean" because at least two or three times per day, the little one was dancing the salsa or something in there!

I am still learning where the Bean is in my belly: what position, which way he/she is facing, and where the feet are. But today, a doula came to talk to all the preggos at Fort Lewis (there are a lot), and she gave us some handouts that showed us not only how to tell where Baby is (through "Belly Mapping") but how to make Baby move! The website where she got/created the handout is here. The Doulas of North America have a website that helps pregnant folks find a doula and birthing center in their local area.

I'm not sure I want a doula because I have a certified nurse midwife, a doctor standing by, and a wonderful husband who will be my partner. Still, it's good to know that I can have him wrap a towel under my belly while I'm on hands and knees and he can "shake the baby" using the towel and squeeze my hips with his legs while standing over me. All that just to get the baby ready to be born. In a position that hopefully won't require too much back labor, too much bleeding, too many stitches, or too many long hours.

With the Bean jumping all over the place as of now, it might be useful to learn a few techniques to ensure he/she isn't trying to put a foot through the birth canal!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Glad you guys had a great time in Mexico!