DISCLAIMER

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author. They are not intended to replace medical advice from
a licensed healthcare professional. So, don't be stupid. Talk to your healthcare provider and don't rely on the
Internet for your medical needs.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Travels (and Travails) in the Third Trimester

Week 28
Winter Squash/Kabacha Squash/Large Eggplant


So I skipped a week (or three) - I was busy! I had to travel halfway across the country and back on interviews for next year's internship. I had an appointment yesterday, and my bump measured 27 weeks, so my delusions that I would have a 9-pounder may have, indeed, been delusions. The midwife says that because I've done this before, all my body supports are just done with it. Everything looks bigger. Everything feels bigger. So, I can relax. My to-do list includes the one hour glucose test (quite possibly the worst invention ever), and getting a Tdap vaccine to help protect baby even before he's born (it will be a while before he can get his own). The main focus, of course, is to vaccinate against pertussis, which can be a nuisance to me but deadly to him.


I also have more traveling to do. Among the numerous things I learned over the last couple of weeks, I discovered that:
(a) pregnancy is a "temporary disability" to most airlines and I can get authorization to pre-board.
(b) pregnancy is scary to most airlines and I will need a note once I'm in the third trimester (oh, right... NOW) or else they might not let me fly.
(c) I will be 32 weeks when I take my next flight, cross country.
(d) Pregnant women are more likely to get deep vein thrombosis (DVT) while flying, because of the cabin air pressure, sitting a long time, having large blood volume, and having lower blood pressure (though it starts to come back up a little in the third trimester).


I have learned that I personally need an aisle seat, preferably with the middle one open, so I can put all my junk that I want access to during flight, rather than keeping it under the seat. Also, I can get up and go pee whenever I want without asking someone to move. Oh, and also, I can stretch and bend my legs as needed to avoid DVT.


I had a DVT scare last week in the middle of the night. I awoke with SHOOTING pain down my left calf. I felt around for "hot spots" (which is a potential indicator of a clot), found nothing, massaged my leg for a bit, and then went back to sleep. Probably just a Charlie horse... probably.

No comments: