DISCLAIMER

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author. They are not intended to replace medical advice from
a licensed healthcare professional. So, don't be stupid. Talk to your healthcare provider and don't rely on the
Internet for your medical needs.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Over halfway, and yet...so far!

I am over halfway through this pregnancy.  When anxiously anticipating the arrival of a sweet new baby to your family, it is often quite difficult to be patient and allow the baby to grow at his own pace.  Yet, here I am, at only 22 weeks and 5 days, eagerly looking ahead.  And of course, my daughter, who is stirring from her nap in the next room, is only 33 months old (okay, okay, she's almost 3 years old) - and when I think of how we must raise our children to adulthood, we are SO far away from eighteen.

I am glad for that.  I hear of how my friends' children are in first grade, or how their baby who was born like yesterday is already ten weeks old.  My nephew, who is eleven, can now wear shoes in the men's department.  I don't want our lives to go so whirlwind-fast like that, but it cannot be slowed.  My eagerness to fast-forward to the birth of my son is unnecessary.  It will be here far too soon, far before we are ready, before his room is ready, before his big sister is ready, before winter is over, and I could go on.

But so much of our lives are spent waiting for the next hurdle to cross that we sometimes forget to enjoy the moment we are in.  I want more of my life to be about right now.  Tomorrow is great, but there are no guarantees.  What regret, to live a life for tomorrow and forget to experience today!

So now I listen for my daughter to come out of her room, ready to use the potty like a big girl, and I wonder if my son will be anything remotely like her.  Will we need re-training as parents so we can know how to raise our boy?  Ah, who cares?  That is still months away.  Right now my daughter needs me.  And that is more than enough!

No comments: