DISCLAIMER

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author. They are not intended to replace medical advice from
a licensed healthcare professional. So, don't be stupid. Talk to your healthcare provider and don't rely on the
Internet for your medical needs.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sleep, how I love thee

"Pregnancy Brain" has already set in. This is when you forget where you've put your keys because you're holding them in your hand or you write everything down because you know you can't remember ANYTHING... and then misplace the paper/notebook/etc. where you wrote it all.

Being in the military means you have to pull out your ID card for every little thing. To come on base, to pick up prenatal vitamins from the pharmacy, to check in for an appointment at the hospital or clinic, to eat lunch in the dining facility, to buy stuff from the commissary... really, EVERYTHING. So my first experience with pregnancy brain came when I checked in for an appointment. The clerk took my ID card AND GAVE IT BACK TO ME while we were holding a conversation about said appointment. I asked him for my ID back, and he just looked at me with the, "Are you really serious or are you just messing with me?" face. He calmly replied that he already did, so I had to check my wallet. It, of course, was there.

That's not the end. I sat down and flipped through a magazine and got the sudden intense feeling that I had misplaced my ID card (which I would need again when I saw the people in the lab downstairs to supply them with six tubes of blood and a cup of urine for various tests). So I pulled out my wallet AGAIN to check for it. Perhaps ten minutes had elapsed between checking the wallet for my ID.

I guess there is a lot going on in our lives right now, so that is part of it, I'm sure. Pregnancy brain is a huge thing you deal with while pregnant, though. I couldn't remember from last time that it started this early. Another thing I forgot about was how early I went to bed.

Apparently, during my first pregnancy I went to bed between 8:30 and 9:00 routinely. I questioned my husband about this when he made fun of me for it the other day. Now, during Game One of the NBA finals, I approached him and said, "I'm tired. I'm thinking of going to bed." He laughed and pointed at the clock. It was 9:10. I'm now toughing it out so I can try to pretend I will watch the game until half time. But for the most part, I'm probably half-asleep as I write this, and will not likely make it to the beginning of the second quarter.

Now, where is my ID card?

No comments: